The Group was registered on 1st February 1912, following it’s formation a little earlier by Mr. R.P. Redman, who had previously been associated with the Church Lads Brigade. With Mr Redman as Scout Master, and Mr C. Pinnigar as Assist. Scout Master, the Troop met at Marden House which remained their Headquarters until the 1914 – 1918 War.
The Marden House Headquarters were requisitioned and meetings were then held at the Corn Exchange. Mr Redman took a commission in the Army, and several of the older Scouts joined H.M. Forces. Capt. Redman kept in touch by letter with the remaining boys in Calne, and also met some in France , while on Active Service. Losses were very heavy and among those killed in action were:- Jacob Andrews, Bob Waite, Jack Onslow, P.Angell , Jackie Angell, Bally Ford, and several others among the casualties.
The Group remained active at home and some activities included digging and caring for allotments of Servicemen. Also, Messenger Service at the large Yeomanry Camp in Bowood , before they were stationed overseas. Those in charge of meetings during 1917 included:- L Garraway, S Long, Mr. Rose, F Gregory and other townspeople. During this period assistance was also given at the Recreation Ground Pavillion Hospital, and F. Gregory, himself, became a patient there after injuries received while serving with the Hampshire Regiment.
The Troop returned to Marden House and resumed Scouting activities under Mr F. Gregory and Mr. W. Hicks.
Rev. Sharp came to Calne and took over as Scout Master, with F. Gregory as A.S.M. and camping recommenced at Queenwood.
Rev. Sharp left Calne and F. Gregory took over as S.M.
F.Gregory attended the first International jamboree at Arrowe Park. During the same year the Troop camped at West Bay. A Summer Camp was held at Blue Anchor and a show put on at Castle Fields to assist.