H.Q. at Mill Street was requisitioned and meetings were held at St. Mary’s Gymnasium and at The Stables in Castle Street. Activities started in 1939 for the War Effort were now in full Swing and included an efficient Messenger Service for the A.R.P., assistance to the Blood Transfusion Service and regular assistance to The Services Canteen on the Strand. A highlight of the latter service was a generous feed of dried egg sandwiches at the end of each day’s work. These were suitably dealt with by the young and not so young members of the Group. A major operation during the war years was the collection of waste paper. This involved a tremendous amount of hard work, but proved well worthwhile. Over 145 tons were collected and the money received for same formed the basis of the fund started for new headquarters. We were thankful for the help given by local contractors of transport and on a more humorous note, of the preparation, by parents, of hot baths for the boys after each operation. They certainly needed it! The leaders at this time were F.Gregory, C.Gregory, C.Syms, S.Cherill, S Clarke, and his father, Mr E. Clarke, affectionately known as “Skipper” to the boys who valued his instruction on rope-work. Scouting, itself, was also carried out and even camping was done when possible. With the war over and the return to Mill Street Headquarters, normal scouting was resumed and with it the formation of the Ladies Committee, which was to prove an invaluable acquisition to the Group. They immediately started organising bazaars and other fund raising efforts for the new Headquarters Fund, with outstanding success.
A Senior Scout Section was formed under Leader E.J.Henly. They took part in Expedition `47′ and explored Snowdonia and the Yorkshire Coast. The World Jamboree at Moisson (France) was attended by J.Hughes and D.Smart.